Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations
The Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR) are made under the Canadian Energy Regulator Act. Companies are responsible for meeting the requirements of the OPR to manage safety, security and environmental protection throughout the entire lifecycle of their facilities, from design, through to construction, operation and abandonment.
The CER is conducting a comprehensive review of the OPR under the CER Act to update the regulations. The CER’s objective for the OPR Review is to deliver a regulation that supports the highest level of safety, security and environmental protection, advances Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, addresses transparency and inclusive participation, provides for predictable and timely oversight and encourages innovation. The CER conducted the first phase of engagement in 2022, with a Discussion Paper and engagement sessions. Submissions received, and a What We Heard report are available on the CER Dialogue website.
The CER is also updating various sections of its Filing Manuals to reflect changing requirements, conditions, regulations, industry practices, and feedback received from regulated companies, Indigenous Peoples and other interested persons or groups. The CER will be coordinating engagement activities for the Review of the OPR and Filing Manuals, to share learnings and consolidate input across common topics areas. When available, details on how and when to participate in the next phase of engagement will be posted on the CER Dialogue website.
How to participate
NEW – The CER has released a What We Heard report and all of the feedback we received in our first engagement phase for the OPR Review (2023-04-20)
- Canadian Energy Regulator Onshore Pipeline Regulations (SOR/99-294)
- NEW 2022-10-12
Regulations Amending Certain Canadian Energy Regulator Regulations (Miscellaneous Program) (SOR/2022-199) and the Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement were published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on 12 October 2022, Vol. 156, No. 21, pages 4100-4109.
- The consolidated regulation will be available on the Justice Laws Website: Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations (Canadian Energy Regulator) (SOR/99‑294)
- National Energy Board Order AO-001-MO-006-2016 which Varies Order MO-006-2016 Compelling Publication of Emergency Procedures Manuals [Filing A79720] (2018-01-17)
- National Energy Board Order MO-006-2016 Compelling Publication of Emergency Procedures Manuals [Filing A79720]
- Filing Emergency Procedures Manuals (2015-03-26)
- National Energy Board Order MO-08-2000 [PDF 45 KB]
- Order for an exemption from section 17 of the Onshore Pipeline Regulations, non-destructive examination.
- Date modified: