Active operating licences
Companies need to apply for an operating licence from us before they can do any oil or gas exploration and production related work or activity in an area of the north or offshore where the CER has regulatory responsibilities.
- geophysical operations
- drilling a well or changing the condition of a well
- building and operating facilities
List of operators (2020 to 2021)
|Operator Licence (COGOA)||Company|
|1201||Explor Geophysical Ltd|
|1208||Imperial Oil Resources Limited|
|1210||Imperial Oil Resources N.W.T. Limited|
|1211||ConocoPhillips Canada Resources Corp.|
|1212||ExxonMobil Canada Ltd.|
|1216||Chevron Canada Limited|
|1220||Shell Canada Limited|
|1222||Canadian Natural Resources Limited|
|1224||Utility Group Facilities Inc.|
|1239||SHIHA Energy Transmission Ltd|
Duration of a licence
- Licences are issued to a company for a maximum of one year.
- They are valid from their commencement date (typically April 1 or a date after April 1 if they applied later in the year) until March 31 of the following (next) year.
- Transparency Guidelines for Information under the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
- Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act
- Canada Petroleum Resources Act
- Oil and Gas Operations Act
See our section on the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act for a full list of related regulations and guidance.
- Date modified: