ARCHIVED - Letter and Order SG-D081-01-2013 to DR Four Beat Energy Corp. - Knappen Border Pipeline and Associated Facilities
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
File OF-Surv-Land-D081 01
18 April 2013
Mr. Michael Siemer
DR Four Beat Energy Corp.
17401 SE County Road 475
Summerfield, FL USA 34491
Mr. Steve Minotakis
Chief Financial Officer
DR Four Beat Energy Corp.
c/o ATB Solutions
P.O. Box 1124
Elfers, FL USA 34680
Dear Mr. Siemen and Mr. Minotakis:
DR Four Beat Energy Corp. (DR Four Beat)
Knappen Border Pipeline and Associated Facilities
The National Energy Board (Board) requires that the Knappen Border Pipeline and Associated Facilities (the Pipeline) be safely maintained and operated protecting the public and the environment. The Board also requires pipeline companies to continuously evaluate and improve the effectiveness of their management programs.
The Board has determined that the Pipeline is in non-compliance with section 32 of the National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR). Note that this is the current title of the previous Onshore Pipeline Regulations, 1999, which were amended on 10 April 2013. The amended section 32 is as follows:
- 32.(1) A company shall develop, implement and maintain an emergency management program that anticipates, prevents, manages and mitigates conditions during an emergency that could adversely affect property, the environment or the safety of workers or the public.
- (1.1) The company shall develop an emergency procedures manual, review it regularly and update it as required.
- (2) A company shall submit the emergency procedures manual and any updates that are made to it to the Board.
Further, the Board has been unable to confirm that there is accurate contact information on emergency signage, or that any emergency procedures are in place.
Therefore, the Board has issued Order SG-D081-01-2013 pursuant to sections 12 and 48(1.1) of the National Energy Board Act, which orders suspension of operation of the Pipeline. DR Four Beat is reminded that pipeline operations must be suspended in a safe manner, with due consideration for the safety of the public and protection of the environment. Due notice of the suspension must be served by DR Four Beat to shippers on the Knappen Border Pipeline. The requirements for deactivation of a pipeline can be found in CSA Z662 section 10.15.1.
DR Four Beat shall submit a written request to the Board, including emergency procedures manual that complies with s.32 of the OPR, seeking approval to reactivate the Pipeline once the conditions set out in the attached Order are met.
The Pipeline is also in non-compliance with other sections of the OPR. These non-compliances will be addressed by the Board in separate correspondence.
Secretary of the Board
c.c. DR Four Beat Corporate Head Office, facsimile 406-862-0715
Canadian Natural Resources Limited, Commercial Operations, facsimile 403-517-7363
Crescent Point Energy Corporation, facsimile 403-693-0070
Mr. Kerwin Mondor, MOI Resources Limited, facsimile 403-529-9055
IN THE MATTER OF the National Energy Board Act (NEB Act) and the regulations made thereunder; and
IN THE MATTER OF promoting the safety and security of the Knappen Border Pipeline and Associated Facilities owned by DR Four Beat Energy Corp. (DR Four Beat) under File OF-Surv-Land-D081 01
BEFORE the Board on 18 April 2013,
WHEREAS the Board regulates the operation of the Knappen Border Pipeline and Associated Facilities (the Pipeline) owned by DR Four Beat pursuant to Order AO-2-XG-S103-32-2003;
AND WHEREASthe Board has determined that DR Four Beat does not have an Emergency Management Program that meets the Board’s requirements for safe and secure operation of the pipelines under its jurisdiction pursuant to the requirements of section 32 of the National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations;
AND WHEREAS the Board takes appropriate actions pursuant to sections 12 and 48 of the Act to promote the continued safe and secure operation of the pipelines under its jurisdiction;
IT IS ORDERED that, pursuant to sections 12 and 48 of the NEB Act, DR Four Beat shall:
- Suspend the operation of the Pipeline.
- Within five (5) days of the date of this Order, provide written confirmation to the Board of its compliance with Condition 1 of this Order.
- Maintain the Pipeline in a deactivated mode as required pursuant to CSA Z662 section 10.15.1 for the deactivation of piping.
- On or before 15 May 2013, file an Emergency Procedures Manual.
- At least 21 days prior to resuming operation of the Pipeline, file a written request to the Board seeking approval to do so. The request shall include evidence that the requirement of Condition 4 of this Order has been met.
NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD
Secretary of the Board
- Date modified: