Complaint Resolution

This page explains how to submit a complaint to the CER and how the CER works to resolve complaints.

Questions you may have

What is a complaint?

A complaint filed with the CER is an issue or concern that you and a company have been unable to resolve by other means. A complaint to the CER can involve any company we regulate and must involve issues within our mandate. Examples of past complaints submitted to the CER involve issues such as environmental reclamation, crop damage, water drainage, noise, or the effects of a facility or activity on property, including property damage.

How do you submit a complaint?

Landowners, Indigenous peoples, companies, and other parties can file a complaint with the CER. Download the Complaint Form [PDF 190 KB] from our website or call 1-800- 899-1265 (toll free) or email to request a copy. Follow the instructions in the form about how to complete and submit it to the CER.

Complaints about compensation follow a different process. Visit the CER's website for more information about compensation disputes.

How are complaints resolved?

If you file a complaint with the CER about a company, CER staff will contact you within 10 days to discuss the complaint. CER staff will forward the complaint to the company for a response. Once sent to the company, the company typically has 2 weeks to respond. You may then file a reply to the company's response.

Steps in the complaint submission process

If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, the CER offers the following options to resolve the issue:

  • alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
  • a formal process to gather information for review and decision by the Commission of the CER   

ADR is a service the CER provides to assist parties in settling differences. Find out more about ADR on our website.

You can withdraw all or part of a complaint at any time, including if issues are resolved by ADR or through direct negotiation.

How quickly will the CER respond to your complaint?

We will respond within 10 days of receiving a completed complaint form. We aim to resolve 80% of the complaints we receive within 21 days if they are not too complex. For more complex complaints, we aim to address the majority of them within 180 days.

How do you contact the CER complaints team?

If you have any questions about the complaint process, contact one of the CER’s complaint resolution specialists:

  • by phone: 403-292-4800 or 1-800-899-1265 (toll free)
  • by mail:
    Complaint Resolution Team

    Canada Energy Regulator
    210-517 10 Ave SW
    Calgary AB  T2R 0A8

For questions or concerns about land or landowner issues related to CER projects, ask for the CER’s Land Matters Advisory Service when you call the CER at 1-800-899-1265 or email

Top of Page
Date modified: