On Wednesday, Aug. 28, the National Energy Board (NEB) became the Canada Energy Regulator (CER). For further information please visit our Implementing the Canadian Energy Regulator Act information page
Companies are required to notify the CER and the Transportation Safety Board of events.
- unauthorized activities
- operation and maintenance activities
Companies are to report these events and others through the online event reporting system, or OERS. A full list of events that are reportable using the online system are in the CER Event Reporting Guidelines. Activities the CER needs to be notified of are defined in regulations. Companies are expected to know their responsibilities and what is required of them.
If you are a member of the public and want to report an event, contact the CER at 403-807-9473.
Regulations and guidance
Companies must refer to the CER’s Event Reporting Guidelines about what we expect and require when reporting events. Timelines for reporting an event vary, depending on what is being reported and its potential severity.
- Event Reporting Guidelines
- Onshore Pipeline Regulations
- Processing Plant Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Drilling and Production Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Geophysical Operations Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Diving Regulations
- Canada Oil and Gas Installations Regulations
- Canadian Energy Regulator Pipeline Damage Prevention Regulations – Authorizations
- Canadian Energy Regulator Pipeline Damage Prevention Regulations – Obligations of Pipeline Companies
Improving reporting requirements
We share information on work that we do to improve requirements. The work below is on consultation we have done to revise the guidelines:
- Letter: Letter dated 12 January 2018 and National Energy Board Event Reporting Guidelines
- Consultation: Results of consultation on the revisions to the NEB Event Reporting Guidelines
- Letter: Letter dated 15 December 2014 and National Energy Board Event Reporting Guidelines
Get help or ask us a question. For help using the event reporting system or to ask us a question, email email@example.com.
System unavailable? To report an event when the system is not available, contact the Transportation Safety Board at 1-819-997-7887 (TSB reporting hotline).
- Date modified: