Filing Manual – Chapter 2 – Instructions to Users
- 2.1 Process Flowchart
- 2.2 Steps to Work through the Flowchart
- 2.3 Regulatory Listing
2.1 Process Flowchart
A flowchart has been provided in Figure 2-1 to guide applicants through the process of:
- determining what type of filing must be submitted (i.e., physical project application, applications not for physical projects or an information filing); and
- identifying what information must be included in the filing.
An important consideration for applicants to remember while working through the flowchart is that an application may trigger various sections of the NEB Act and regulations, and therefore, applicants should work through all steps of the flowchart until reaching an end point.
The guidance boxes within the flowchart indicate the requirements that must be fulfilled and direct the applicant to the appropriate location in the Manual for the specific filing requirements. Following the flowchart from the start to finish assures that applicants will have identified each of the elements essential to a filing.
2.2 Steps to Work through the Flowchart
The flowchart uses standard symbols to represent the process for completing a filing. The symbols are as follows:
|guidance or direction|
|relevant guide and corresponding section of the NEB Act or regulation identified|
|NEB referenced documents|
Please remember that the Manual and therefore this flowchart, applies only to applications and filings under the NEB Act and the regulations under the NEB Act.
- Begin at the green "Start" circle in the upper left corner.
- Is the potential filing an application or information filing?
- If the potential filing is an information filing, complete the appropriate reports (see Chapter 6 for details).
- If the potential filing is an application, complete the common application information (outlined in the yellow box). See Chapter 3 for details.
- If the application is for a physical project, complete the base application requirements and begin to work across the flowchart. Working across the flowchart will require that you answer certain questions to determine what sections of the NEB Act or regulations are triggered (see also Table 2-1). Any sections triggered will require an application pursuant to the triggered section(s). See Chapter 4 for details.
- If the application is not for a physical project, follow the flowchart down the left side and see Chapter 5 for supporting information.
2.3 Regulatory Listing
Table 2-1 lists the sections of the NEB Act and regulations that have been identified within this Manual as requiring an application to the Board. The corresponding Guide is also included.
Sections of NEB Act and Regulations
|Application Description||Relevant Legislation||Section(s)||Guide ID|
|Addition or modification of facilities||NEB Act||52,58||Guide A|
|Abandonment||NEB Act||74(d)||Guide B|
|Protection of Pipelines from Ground Disturbance, Facility Construction, Crossings and Mining Operations||NEB Act||81,112||Guide C|
|Deviations||NEB Act||45||Guide D|
|Change in Class Locations||OPR||42||Guide E|
|Change of Service or Increase in Maximum Operating Pressure||OPR||43||Guide F|
|Processing Plants: Facility Deactivations and Reactivations||PPR||42,43||Guide I|
|Commodity Pipeline Systems||NEB Act||Guide J|
|Reviewing or Amending a NEB Decision||NEB Act||21||Guide O|
|Tolls and tariffs||NEB Act||Part IV||Guide P|
|Export & Import Authorizations||NEB Act||Part VI||Guide Q|
|Transfer of Ownership, Lease or Amalgamation||NEB Act||74(a), (b), (c)||Guide R|
|Access on a Pipeline||NEB Act||71||Guide S|
|Leave to Open||NEB Act||47||Guide T|
|Information Filed Respecting PPBoR and Notices||NEB Act||34||Guide U|
|Right-of-Entry Application||NEB Act||104||Guide V|
|Requirements for Substituted Service Applications Guide W||Substituted Service Regulations||Guide W|
|Post Certificate/Order Information||Guide AA|
|Financial Surveillance Reports||Guide BB|
|Import and Export Reporting Regulation Requirements||Export and Import Reporting Regulations||Guide CC|
|Leave to make contact with, alter, or remove an abandoned pipeline||NEB Act||48.1(1)||Contact the Board|
- Date modified: